Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Play review



What are we going to do today??



After much anticipation yesterday, the blizzard of the decade finally arrived here in Wisconsin. I guess we were due since the rest of the country has had their share and probably in need of a well deserved break from snow. As I awoke to a blanket of deep white and howling winds, it gave me a sense of appreciation that I didn't have to go out this morning. The kids have off of school today and you would think they were the big jackpot lottery winners around here.  A couple weeks ago, I was in the bookstore and caught a glimpse of a new book about playing in the snow. I was waiting for the right day for this one and being snowbound today seems to be just that day.  I don't think kids get the chance to play outside in the snow anymore like we did. We'd be out making snow angels, snowmen and building forts for hours. Reading this book brought back those fun memories again.

I really liked this book. The creativity behind the projects and snow building activities will get those creative juices flowing.  The pictures are also very inspiring. One project tells about making giant footprints from cutouts worn on your feet. Couldn't get any more simple than that. From the snowman, to a snow slide and  a more elaborate snow campfire, this book will give you the right amount of inspiration. On the very last page  of the book I loved that it said. "Now go outside and play!" When my kids ask me later "what are we going to do today?",  I know exactly what I will tell them.  Let's seize the day!!~

Title:  Snow Play - How to Make Forts & Slides & Winter Campfires
Author: Birgitta Ralston
Genre: non fiction
Pub. Date: December 2010, Artisan
Hardcover, 111 pgs.
book source: bookstore

No comments:

Post a Comment