Friday, July 1, 2011

Book Blogger Hop - July 1

Book Blogger Hop

Thanks to  Crazy-for-books for hosting this hop, I hope to hop on from time-to-time......I also found some new blogs and I am looking forward to knowing what others are reading and saying! 


This week’s question comes from Sue who blogs at Cookie’s Book Club ! Thanks for submitting a question for our Hoppers, Sue! Be sure to visit her blog and tell her thank you!


What keeps you reading beyond the first few pages of a book, and what makes you want to stop reading a book and put it back on the shelf?


My Answer:  What a great and thought provoking question this week!  I have abandoned books before I finished the first couple of chapters because the sentences were short and choppy or the characters feel lost. Sometimes you can just tell right away that it's not working. I think the first thing that hooks me in are the author's sentences. Are they descriptive and thoughtful word choices that are fluent?  I think another thing would be the characters and if the writing gives me a connection in anyway to them. 


I enjoy books with messages and characters that are role models for our young adults and middle grade. When I do find a good selection of authors, I always search out more books by that one because I love the writing styles.

4 comments:

  1. Short, choppy sentences are really hard to read! There's no fluidity! I'm definitely on the same page as you on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These book blogger hop questions just get better and better. This one looks easy but I think it’s a trick question. We all know it’s the same answer – the writing – but we all have different perspectives of what good writing is.

    Hop on over to my blog at http://www.howardsherman.net and read my three-prong answer as I explain why I’ll decide to pick up a book or put it down in under sixty seconds.

    Happy July 4th Weekend!

    Howard Sherman, Implementor
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping through. Sometimes I like short and choppy sentences if it creates a fast pace. But it's definitely hard to keep up with a book that is not written well.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Follow Friday! I am a follower! Hope you will stop by http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels

    ReplyDelete