Monday, February 17, 2020

I'm Trying to Love Math review


42359138. sx318

Do multiplication tables give you hives? Do you break out in a sweat when you see more than a few numbers hanging out together? Then I'm Trying to Love Math is for you!(goodreads summary)




Where would our world be if we had no math?  Math is everywhere around us from baking to music to space to even pizza.  I know from experience that math is not my thing and I dreaded it when I was in school.  Reading this book just might help kids, who don't like math either,  understand how important it is to us in our everyday lives.   The likable three-eyed purple alien talks to the narrator of the story explaining how math fits into our daily life. The narrator does try a few attempts to avoid it and express their displeasure.  On a couple of pages, we need to shake the book when some numbers go awry.  Through humor and fun illustrations, the persistent alien offers an informative perspective on how math comes up in many situations we don't think of.  The book is quite busy with lot's of things to see and read making this a good choice for the older elementary reader.   Kids may still not necessarily like math but this book has history, facts and relatable usage that may offer them a different viewpoint to the importance of learning the subject.  I think this is a "just right book" for ages 7-10.~

Title:  I'm Trying to Love Math
Author:  Bethany Barton
Pub. date:  July 2019, Viking Books for Young Readers
Genre:  non fiction
Hardcover, 32 pgs.

No comments:

Post a Comment