Monday, January 10, 2011

Fat Vampire review

Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story

Doug Lee is undead quite by accident - attacked by a desperate vampire, he finds himself cursed with being fat and fifteen forever. When he has no luck finding some goth chick with a vampire fetish, he resorts to sucking the blood of cows under cover of the night. But it's just not the same.

Well, I heard alot of reviews on this one about how funny and hilarious it was going to be. I guess it is a spoof of the recent vampire rage going on.  The first thing I will say is that it disappointed me in more ways than one. I felt the author has a great concept, a 15 year old overweight, unpopular awkward teen turned into a vampire by accident and trying to yet fit it into another skin. It could have gone in alot of directions. Unfortunately, I lacked a connection or any feeling with the main character Doug. I thought when the other characters were introduced it was going somewhere but that also eventually fell flat.  I ended up losing track of the plot halfway (if there is any). I was getting lost with the back and forth narratives between different characters like Stephin the Vampire Mentor for Doug, Sejal the Foreign Exchange Student and the Vampire Hunter TV Show host Alan.  One thing that surprised me most was the offensive language and sexual subject matter. Too much of it and it did nothing for the book or character developments. I wonder if authors feel this attracts young adults instead of a just writing a good story.   I saw that a recommended age group was 14 and up or grade 10 and up. I would not want my 14 or 15 year old reading this book.~

Title: Fat Vampire
Author: Adam Rex
Genre: Fiction-Young Adult
Pub. Date: July 2010, Balzer & Bray
Hardcover, 324 pgs.
BookSource: Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment