Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I've Lost My Hippopotamus review



A brand-new rib-tickling collection of more than 100 never-before-published poems by national bestselling poet Prelutksy, illustrated throughout in black-and-white by "New York Times"-bestselling artist Urbanovic. (goodreads summary)







Here is a light-hearted and fun book mixed with poems about real animals and quite a few imaginary ones. It is filled with 100 funny poems including a silly picture to go along with each one. The illustrations are clear and nicely drawn in black and white that add humor to the book. Some of the poems are better than others and I found myself skimming pages to find ones I thought really stood out.  It does have good wordplay and definitely plenty of imagination in which kids may find themselves giggling at or laughing out loud to.  There is a mixture of long poems and short poems with a variety of topics and animals. It is just plain fun to be silly for a moment or two!  It could fit for an elementary poetry unit nicely by choosing certain poems you like best and reading out loud. The kids could even make up their own imaginary animal poem with an illustration for a fun classroom share. I think this is a "just right book" for grades 2-5.~


Title: I've Lost My Hippopotamus
Author: Jack Prelutsky, illustrated by Jackie Urbanovic
Pub. date: March 2012, Greenwillow Books
Genre: poetry
Hardcover, 144 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment